Remember, Remember the 5th of November.


In front of the Bonfire
Coat&Jeans - Topshop, Top - New Look. Wellies - Hunter. 

A little bit overdue but something I need to write about! This has nothing to do with hair and/or make up and fashion. For some reason I have always loved Bonfire night, since I was a little girl, it always used to excite me wrapping up all warm and going to family friend's houses and everyone getting together to watch the fireworks and even make a Guy Fawkes. It was always a really nice family event and something fun to do whether it be mid week or as a weekend treat, but as you get a bit older I find it's hard to find anything to do for it. It usually landed on mid week and you'd have school the next day or exams or something which meant there wasn't alot you could do, and you're not at the age to let your friends do fireworks themselves and as I don't really have a proper garden there's no where to even make a bonfire. I text my roomate in the morning seeing if there was anything going on (as I have recently moved to a city, I assumed there would finally be something) then she told me about an event in a tiny village close to us, Ottery St.Mary called Tar Barrels. She explained a little bit about it and to say the least I was confused, but interested at the same time. It's basically an event held on the 5th November every year where these barrels are soaked/filled in tar and these guys run through the village shouting with these on their backs. This was pretty much the description I had on the event and had to think it was maybe slightly over exaggerated. Under exaggerated was more like it. It was mental. Kate comes to pick me up and has my wellies in the front - I became slightly confused. We turn up to this tiny village in Bertie - the mini and before we even get there, there's a huge queue of cars and a sign saying £10 for parking. I was pretty confused at this point but still really excited to see what it was about. It's dark when we finally get there and there's burger vans, sweet vans, Toffee apples, the lot and it's literally buzzing. Eveyone's all wrapped up and you walk past this big bit of greenery surrounded by trees and there is this massive bonfire lit - complete with Guy Fawkes! Everyone's stood around it and it was awesome. The field bit was pretty very so I now understand the use of wellies, tactical decision made by Kate, knowing I would be complaining if I got my white Converse dirty! We carry on walking and find there's a fair ground there too, I was so impressed by this and being the big kids that we are we went on every single ride. Later on we go get some food and enjoy the atmosphere and on this skinny, long street the wardens come over and tell everyone there's a barrel coming. I literally had no idea what they were on about so everyone stood in anticipation. Just as we were going to leave(as it was getting cold and late) we see these men running down the hill with a flaming barrel on their back - the crowd all splitting to give them an entrance. They came closer and all took in turns to have the barrel on their back. All shouting like absolute mad men. The atmosphere was crazy and completely full of adrenaline. It was honestly one of the weirdest activities I have ever seen but I absolutely loved it. It's such a perfectly English tradition with all the local pubs sponsering each barrel. I would a million percent reccommend that if you have never been to Tar Barrels before, go! The atmosphere is incredible and like nothing you would have witnessed before, for bonfire night. Only thing I might add is it's maybe not the best thing if you have small children or cant dodge/move out of the way quickly as you never know where the Barrel is going to go. I'll link the official website so you can read a bit more about what goes down. http://www.tarbarrels.co.uk/index.htm